Every Techie needs to read something.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Winamp Site Hacked?

Strange thing today, I tried to download Winamp, and as soon as you make all of your selections, and click download, instead of a download screen, you get this:


I thought at first that this might be displayed while I am waiting for the download to start. The URL listed was:
http://download.nullsoft.com/

It gets a little bit stranger, I pinged download.nullsoft.com, and it is resolving to 172.30.74.154, which is in a reserved address range. A ping from www.network-tools.com resolves it to 172.20.149.50.

If you do a whois on nullsoft, the ip address is 205.188.234.120



I wonder if this has anything to do with the DNS Root Server attack yesterday.

Update 11:30: Winamp fixed the problem. The site is now resolving to 149.174.36.119 and the page is a directory listing of the site. Downloads work fine now. I'll be curious if they ever say what happened.

No comments: